Poppyseeds Home Food BBA Seasonal Adventures Polish Italian Holidays Random

Monday, August 16, 2010

Peach and Blackberry Cobbler

Our farmer's market also has beautiful blackberries:
Before I froze these, I took out enough to add to peaches to make a scrumptious peach and blackberry cobbler.  I decided to try a new version from Pat and Gina Neely that I found on the abc news site.  It contains cornmeal in the biscuit dough and sounded interesting. 

I mixed the biscuit topping, using flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.  I cut in the butter and shortening and mixed in milk and egg.

I sliced the peaches,

heated them with brown sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch, cinnamon and salt and simmered.  Then I added vanilla and 2 pints of those juicy blackberries.
After pouring the filling into a dish, I scooped the dough on top:

The recipe said to bake for 25 to 30 minutes.  I found mine needed to bake 50 minutes.

I didn't cool it very long before I scooped some on a dish, added vanilla ice cream and had the best hot cobbler ever.

I can't imagine anything I could do to the filling to make it any better.  I do have my usual complaint about cobblers.  I always think there isn't enough fruit on my plate.  When will I learn to cut the amount of dough in half or double the fruit!  The cornmeal did make this dough heavier than some, but it was very good.  The filling was to die for!




P. S.  I have been known to skip dough altogether and just caramelize some sliced peaches in a little butter and brown sugar, slide them over, toss in some blackberries to heat and slip it into a bowl with ice cream on
top. . . . .

3 comments:

janie said...

This makes my mouth water! I've been wanting to make something like this all summer.

poppyseed said...

This was the best recipe for filling janie. Maybe someday you'll make a cobbler in an outside brick oven!

http://lindageez.etsy.com said...

This sound wonderful! I love cobbler and always look for good recipes! I look forward to reading more of your blogs!