Poppyseeds Home Food BBA Seasonal Adventures Polish Italian Holidays Random

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Comfort Food

We had extra peppers to use so I made stuffed peppers for dinner. This is a version I’ve been making for years:


Stuffed Peppers

6 peppers (or 3 large peppers cut in half)
1 lb. ground beef
½ cup chopped onion
1 1b. can tomatoes (sometimes I add a little tomato sauce if the mixture seems thin)
½ cup rice
½ cup water
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 cup grated cheddar cheese (4 ozs.)
Salt, pepper

Drop the peppers in boiling water for 5 minutes if you want them precooked. If you prefer crispy peppers, you can just leave them raw.

Brown the ground beef and onion. Add tomatoes, rice, water, Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper. Cover and simmer about 15 minutes. Stir in the cheese and stuff the pepper cups. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees about 25 to 30 minutes.


SEPTEMBER BREAD

We decided on Potato Rosemary bread for September. The biga is in the refrigerator and the potatoes are mashed. Tomorrow I bake.


KNITTING:


I have been working on making booties in the round with a neat kitchener stitch on the sole. My first pair made with variegated yarn turned out ok, but on the next pair I made, I wasn't able to get the kitchener seam neat. Perhaps I pulled too tightly. I'm starting another pair and hope I get the hang of it this time.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Finally!! I have your stuffed pepper recipe!! I'll check back often in hopes of adding your cucumber salad, vegetable soup, and chicken noodle casserole recipes to my collection.