Poppyseeds Home Food BBA Seasonal Adventures Polish Italian Holidays Random

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Snow, Snow: Creamy Rice Pudding

We are in the midst of a SNOW--a fairly big storm for here in WV. We already had snow--now there's more.




The first 2 were pictures taken yesterday before we got a couple more feet that are outside right now and it will continue snowing all day today--about 3 feet are expected.  We are all cozy inside--we have plenty of food, water and firewood.  I spent some time yesterday cooking and baking in case the power went out--this is a heavy snow so that was a possibility.  But we woke up to much more snow this morning and we still have power so I have curled up by the woodstove today with my reading and knitting--two of my favorite activities on a stormy day.

But I still can't resist making something creamy on a day like this so my recipe today is:

CREAMY RICE PUDDING


6 cups whole milk
1 cup sugar
pinch of salt
1 cup rice (I used Arborio)
1 pint Half and Half
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
cinnamon

1.  Bring first 3 ingredients to almost boiling, add rice and stir with whisk.  Set to simmer, cover and cook for 50 to 55 minutes. (stir occasionally with whisk.)
2.  Beat eggs, 1/2 and 1/2, and vanilla.  Add to rice mixture.  With constant beating with whisk, bring to a boil and cook about 3 minutes.
3.  Put into a dish, sprinkle with cinnamon and refrigerate.  (I like it warm!)

This is a really good, simple rice pudding.  You can add raisins, other flavorings or other fruits to it, if you like.  I'm already thinking about what I can add to my next one--maybe cherries.

No comments: