Poppyseeds Home Food BBA Seasonal Adventures Polish Italian Holidays Random

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Tiny Stuffed Peppers

I bought a bag of those cute little sweet peppers that show up at the grocery store sometimes now.

I used my standard recipe for stuffed peppers:

1 bag small sweet peppers, cut in half and seeded
1 lb. ground beef
½ cup chopped onion
1 1b. can diced tomatoes (if it seems thin, add a little tomato sauce)
½ cup rice
½ cup water
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 cup grated cheddar cheese (4 ozs.)
Salt, pepper

Sprinkle a little salt on the peppers. Brown the ground beef and onion.  Sprinkle with a little salt. Add tomatoes, rice, water, and Worcestershire sauce. Cover and simmer about 15 minutes. Taste.  Add a little more salt and pepper, if needed.  Stir in the cheese and stuff the peppers. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees about 20 minutes. (When I use green peppers, I bake about 30 minutes.)

To serve, I sprinkled a combination of chopped parsley, chives and dill on top.  Those herbs really made the peppers flavorful.

This was really good with a salad.  Since these peppers are small and more delicate than the large green peppers I usually use, ground turkey might work well in place of the beef. 


1 comment:

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

What a great idea - these would be nice served as an appetizer.